When it comes to mentors, I would say that three in my life stick out to me, and they might not even know that they are mentors to me. A mentor can be a lot of different things, but to me, it is someone who motivates you to be a better version of yourself, helps lead you down the right path, and holds you accountable. One mentor that I have in my life is my friend, Matt. I have been friends with his younger brother, Mike, my entire life as we grew up together. I was always friendly with Matt, but we were never close until a couple of years ago. We got close when I was going through a little bit of a rough patch and he started sending me different workout programs to try out and encouraged me to get out of my funk. Whenever I wanted to complain, he’d shut me down and tell me to focus on what really mattered and to keep pushing, and it worked. Fast forward and we still hold each other accountable, we worked two jobs together, and we both pushed each other to be better every day. To me, that is a mentor and a great friend.




Another mentor that comes to mind is my dad. My dad has pretty much-done everything for me my entire life and always encourages me to have confidence in myself and to try everything. Most people don’t like to listen to their parents, and I am definitely one of those people. Whenever my dad tells me something, I like to argue with it thinking I know better, when in reality I really don’t. Everything he tells me seems to come true one way or another, it’s like he knows me better than I know myself. My father is also brutally honest and doesn’t sugarcode anything for me and that has helped me a lot throughout my life and has pushed me to be better at everything I do. Even when I am making a decision or doing something he doesn’t agree with, he still supports me and encourages me to do my absolute best even when it starts to get hard. That’s all anyone can ask for out of a mentor, someone who always has your best interests at heart.


Lastly, this might be an unpopular opinion, but I consider another mentor to be myself. Like any other human being, I have made countless mistakes and I have learned from all of them and they contribute to me making smarter decisions in the future. No one motivates me more than myself. I wasn’t always self-motivated and I looked for external factors to motivate me, but when opportunities kept on passing me by I finally decided I was going to be in control of my effort and how I could make things happen for myself instead of waiting around for something to happen. The best form of self-love is discipline and doing the things you don’t want to do as it builds character and helps ground yourself and make yourself the best version of yourself. 



Comments

  1. I appreciated the mention of yourself as one of your mentors and motivators in your life, and I don't necessarily disagree with the assertion. Furthermore, I agreed with your opinion on what it means to be a mentor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was motivating, Having a mentor is amazing. I enjoyed the pictures you added, brought me back to my childhood. Overall great writing, self love is important like you mentioned. The form of self love is discipline which is the most important as you mentioned. Great blog post, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you mention yourself as your mentor. I agree with you completely. You are your biggest supporter and competition. It is up to you to make the best choices for yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introductory Post

Are we Products of our Environment, or Products of our Expectations?